Notice how the various mattress stores seem to be clumped together. And they seem to be tying to outdo each other with the signs they put up. In spite of this, they always seem to be empty, so how do they stay in business? Part of the anwser is that there is a very huge mark-up on mattresses.
The complaints listed below are just the ones for signs. There have been numerous other complaints at some of these locations, such as for trash, unlicensed vehiles, etc. A high percentage of these resulted in correction notices being mailed and "returned as undeliverable", after which, it appears, CE took no further action to locate the responsible person.
They have had dozens of legal actions taken against them around the state going back 22 years for illegal signs.
- 7907 Belair Rd (complaints filed 6/9/2010, 7/26/2013, 9/10/2013, 12/18/2013, 9/2/2015, 9/16/2015, 9/17/2017, 11/13/2017, 12/16/2017, 12/18/2017, 3/12/2018, 3/19/2018, 4/9/2018, 4/23/2018, 5/25/2018, 5/29/2018 - many by the adjacent Mattress Firm store. In May 2018, a fine was levied.) It is now closed.
- 8640 Pulaski Hwy (Golden Ring) (complaint 11/13/2017, hearing and fine)
- 11130 Reisterstown Rd
- 504 Winters Ln, Catonsville
- 9717 York Rd (complaint 11/14/2019)
- 9729 York Rd, Cockeysville
Mattress Firm (some were Sleepy's before Nov 2016) Announced bankruptcy in Oct 2018 and closing many stores.
- 5860 Baltimore National Pike
- 6427 Baltimore National Pike ?
- 7911 Belair Rd (complaints filed on 5/23/2010, 12/11/2017, and 5/25/2018) (store now closed)
- 5237 Campbell Blvd
- 813 Goucher (complaint filed on 9/17/2017, 7/9/2019, 8/28/2019 - correction notice)
- 7645 Harford Rd (just inside city limits)
- 2003 E Joppa Rd (complaint filed 9/7/2007, 11/28/2018, 10/12/2019)
- 1417 Merritt Blvd
- 8643 Pulaski Hwy (complaints filed on 9/10/2012 and 4/19/2013)
- 1500 Reisterstown Rd (complaint filed on 10/30/2015)
- 9616 Reisterstown Rd
- 9637 Reisterstown Rd (Previously Mattress Discounters) (probably closed now)
- 6666 Security Blvd
- 912C Taylor Ave
- 3531 Washington Blvd
- 2080 York Rd
- 9709 York Rd (complaints filed on 2/16/2010, 3/23/2015)
- 9924 York Rd (complaints filed on 2/16/2010, 11/27/2019)
- 10012 York Rd (Mattress and More) (complaints filed 8/31/2015, 4/21/2016, 5/20,2016, 6/13/2016, 6/28/2018 none of which resulted in action)
- 6567 Baltimore National Pike (Mattress Connection) (Complaint 7/9/19)
- 8555A Pulaski Hwy (That Mattress Place - used to be Bed World). Complaints:
- 11/7/2013 - no action
- 6/3/2014 (3 complaints) correction notice 6/11/14; closed 6/27/14
- 1/20/2016 - correction notice 1/27/2016; citation 3/1/2016 $500, hearing 4/6/2016; citation 5/6/2016 $10,000, hearing 4/6/2016, postponed; citation 6/23/2016 $10,000, hearing 7/27/2016; citation 7/25/2016; citation 8/10/2016, $3,000, hearing 8/10/16; (no idea what was going on here, but no evidence of hearing ever being held - case shown as dismissed on both 5/31/2016 and 3/29/2017)
- 12/1/2018 - correction notice, found in compliance
- 8200 Perry Hall Rd (Sleep Number) - White Marsh Mall
- 809 North Point Blvd (Roomstyle & Mattress) (complaints filed on 3/25/2014 - fine; 9/8/2015 - no action)
- 8642 Loch Raven Blvd (Cloud 9) This store lasted a couple years with excessive store front signs, in the road, and a man standing in the median. Mulitple complaints, action never taken. Finally closed.
- 12037 Belair Rd (complaints 12/12/2018, 1/2/2019, 2/15/2019, 10/12/2019)
One of the worst things, for both mattress and funiture stores, is that they often close, and hire a "liquidator" in the process. The liquidator essentially buys the remaining inventory and then holds an "inventory clearance" sale. They always put up lots of ugly signs, generally always of the same design. Although the state has specific laws pertaining to store closings, partly to prevent the liquidator from just hauling in new junk and continually restocking, it is not really enforced.
See here for more.
My wife suggested that someone should do an investigation of why so many mattress stores open only to quickly close. What are the economics (low manufacturing cost, high mark-up?) that promotes this, and trashes our roadways? Some answers. Or another (conspiracy) theory. And more background on Mattress Firm.